View This Email In Your Browser

A three-judge panel for the Fourth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals seemed likely to keep Jefferson Griffinโ€™s legal challenge in state courtโ€”perhaps, in part, because the state Supreme Court tied their hands. 

Three months after Election Day, Griffin, a Republican Court of Appeals judge, has not conceded his apparent 734-vote loss to Democratic Justice Allison Riggs. Instead, he asked the state Supreme Court to throw out more than 65,000 ballots from early and absentee voters for three reasonsโ€”they had incomplete registration information, are overseas voters who never lived in North Carolina but are registered to vote here, or they are overseas and military voters exempt from the stateโ€™s photo ID requirement. 

After the State Board of Elections dismissed his protests in December, Griffin bypassed the stateโ€™s usual appeal process and went directly to the state Supreme Court. The State Board of Elections asked the federal courts to intervene, arguing that the legal disputes involved questions of federal law. 

U.S. District Judge Richard Meyer II, an appointee of President Donald Trump, rejected the state elections boardโ€™s request to move the case to federal court on January 6. In doing so, he closed the federal docket without giving the elections board a chance to appeal, which the board argued violated federal procedures. The next day, the state Supreme Court agreed to consider Griffinโ€™s case. 

Two weeks later, on January 22, the court abruptly dismissed Griffinโ€™s writ of prohibition, sending the case to Wake Countyโ€™s superior court while keeping in place a stay preventing the elections board from certifying Riggsโ€™ victory. Several of the Republican justices seemed willing to indulge Griffinโ€™s complaints if the case came back to the court later this year. 

But the decisionโ€™s timing was curious. The parties hadnโ€™t finished filing briefs in the case, and the ruling came five days before the Fourth Circuit was scheduled to hear arguments about whether to take the case back to federal court. 

At oral arguments Monday, Griffinโ€™s attorney William Thompson argued that the state Supreme Courtโ€™s decision rendered the elections boardโ€™s appeal moot. Once the state Supreme Court acted, Thompson said, federal courts werenโ€™t allowed to claw it back, even if they believed the district judge had messed up. Judges Paul Niemeyer and A. Marvin Quattlebaum, appointees of Presidents George H.W. Bush and Donald Trump, respectively, seemed inclined to agree. Judge Toby Heytens, a nominee of President Joe Biden, appeared more skeptical, prompting heated exchanges with Thompson. 

Niemeyer repeatedly asked attorneys representing Riggs and the state elections board how federal courts could have jurisdiction over the case once the state Supreme Court dismissed Griffinโ€™s writ of prohibition. 

Wake County Superior Court Judge Paul Ridgeway scheduled a hearing for February 7. Attorneys for Riggs and the state elections board urged the Fourth Circuit to decide whether the case belonged in federal court before then. 

โ€œItโ€™s important to not lose sight of the fact that Justice Riggsโ€™ victory is the last uncertified race in this country, as we stand here today, because of the stay of certification in this case,โ€ Samuel Hartzell, Riggsโ€™ attorney, told the court Monday. 

It appears that the race will remain so for the foreseeable future.

โ€”Michael Hewlett & Jeffrey Billman

Have any suggestions for improving this newsletter or stories we should look into? Email us at courts@theassemblync.com.


Beg Your Pardon

It might seem like pardons have been flying almost as freely as Oprah Winfrey once bestowed cars on her talk show audiences.

Within hours of his inauguration last week, President Donald Trump issued a blanket pardon to all involved in the January 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Joe Biden had pardoned his siblings and their spouses earlier that same day in the waning hours of his presidency, an unexpected finale in a series of pardons meant to block retribution Trump had promised to exact on his political foes. Biden also pardoned his son, Hunter, on December 1, prior to his scheduled sentencing for federal felony gun and tax convictions.

Roy Cooper also issued a flurry of pardons during his final weeks as governor and commuted the sentences of 15 people on death row to life without a possibility for parole (an issue we wrote about last month).

While some of the pardons were more controversial than others, questions swirled about why presidents and governors even have such power.

The state’s first pardon was granted in the late 1770s by Gov. Richard Caswell, an action commemorated earlier this month with a new historical marker in Tarboro.

The sign on N.C. 42 pays homage to the Gourd Patch Conspiracy, a failed 1777 uprising by a group of farmers who plotted to kidnap and kill Caswell and overthrow the state government. The state Department of Cultural and Natural Resources outlined the history in two recent posts

John Lewelling, a Martin County farmer, led the uprising over fear that the state Constitution of 1776 did not include a state religion.

Lewelling (whose name has also been spelled Llewellyn, Luellen and Lewellen) worried that this would lead to the weakening of Protestantism and religious values. With secret codes, hand gestures, and special sticks with three notches, he rallied farmers from Martin, Tyrrell, Pitt, and Bertie counties to meet in a pumpkin patch to hatch a plan.

In the summer of 1777, they enlisted a slave patroller to create a diversion when Caswell was set to visit Halifax, hoping to draw the militia away from the governor. But the slave patroller got cold feet and went to the authorities.

Some members of the secret society, whose membership had grown to 54, were arrested afterwards.

Despite the setbacks, remaining members kept plotting in the gourd patch, and later that summer, about 30 of them tried to seize a powder magazine in Tarboro. The local militia thwarted the attempt, leading to multiple arrests and charges. Lewelling was charged and convicted of high treason and sentenced to death in September of that year.

Amid quick calls for mercy, Caswell decided not too long afterward to grant the state’s first known pardon.

โ€”Anne Blythe


A Key Witness Recants

Last Wednesday, Jessicah Black sat in a Forsyth County courtroom, her face tear-stained, her voice raw, trying to rectify a lie she said she told nearly 23 years ago.ย 

She testified that sheโ€™d told the lie after Winston-Salem police detectives screamed at her for more than an hour until she gave them what they wantedโ€”a statement that would seal the fates of five teenage boys sheโ€™d befriended.

Brothers Nathaniel Cauthen and Rayshawn Banner and their friends Christopher Bryant, Jermal Tolliver, and Dorrell Brayboy were accused of brutally beating Nathaniel Jones, the grandfather of NBA star Chris Paul, in his East Winston-Salem home during an attempted robbery in November 2002. 

Winston-Salem police had narrowed their search to the five teenagers when the mother of one of them told police her son had been acting strangely since Jonesโ€™ death. Police pulled all five into separate interrogation rooms, where the boys later said they were coerced into giving false confessions. Four said police threatened them with the death penalty, even though North Carolina had eliminated it for juveniles in 1987.

There was no definitive physical evidence, including DNA or fingerprints, tying the boys to the crime scene, and their statements were inconsistent both with each otherโ€™s and with what physical evidence the police did have. The boys couldnโ€™t agree on where they left Jonesโ€™ body, who participated in the beating, or what weapons were used. 

Black was a 16-year-old who had started hanging out with the boys a few months before Jonesโ€™ death. She became the stateโ€™s most critical witness in two trialsโ€”one in 2004 and another in 2005โ€”that led to all five boys being convicted and sent to prison. Now sheโ€™s telling a different story.

A Lieโ€™s Reckoning

Jessicah Black was the key witness in a case that sent five teenagers away for the 2002 murder of NBA star Chris Paulโ€™s grandfather, Nathaniel Jones. Now she’s trying to exonerate them.

โ€”Michael Hewlett


Around The State

Short-Term Rental Owners Steel Themselves for Long Recovery

Western N.C.โ€™s vacation rental industry, a key component of the tourism economy, faces an uncertain future after Hurricane Helene.

The Reading Wars Go to College

Nearly everyone backs the latest research on teaching kids to read. Why did it take eight years to update curriculum?

Bringing the Border War Home

How one North Carolina sheriff helped shape the anti-immigration agenda that will define Donald Trumpโ€™s second term.


The Assembly is a digital magazine covering power and place in North Carolina. Sent this by a friend? Subscribe to our newsletter here.

Michael Hewlett is a courts and law reporter for The Assembly. He was previously a legal affairs reporter at the Winston-Salem Journal and has won two Henry Lee Weathers Freedom of Information Awards.

Jeffrey Billman is a politics and law reporter for The Assembly. The former editor-in-chief of INDY in Durham, he holds a master's degree in public policy analysis from the University of Central Florida.

Anne Blythe, a former reporter for The News & Observer, has reported on courts, criminal justice, and an array of topics in North Carolina for more than three decades.